- You will need to register for a Gmail account or a Google Account. This will only take a few minutes and will require you to provide your current e-mail address which will be used to enable you to sign in to your account.
- Sign-in to your Google Account and look for Chat on the left hand side of the window. Underneath you will find a list of your Gmail contacts. Those you can chat with will have a ball next to their names – if the ball is colored green it means they are available, red means they are busy and yellow means they are inactive. If the ball is colored grey, it means they are offline and you will not be able to chat with them. You can still send offline users messages, but they will only receive them when they next go online.
- Click on your contact’s name. A window will appear with your contact’s profile and a list of options including Gmail, Chat and More. Click on Chat. A chat window will appear and you can begin typing in your message. You can also chat with multiple friends. If you click on a contact that does not have a ball next to their names, they will be sent an invitation asking them to sign up for a Google or Gmail account. Once you’ve finished chatting, close the window by clicking on the X at the upper right-hand corner. This basic process is also how to Gtalk through your iGoogle or Orkut accounts.
- You can also use Google Talk without logging into your Gmail or Orkut accounts by downloading the Google Talk client to your computer. Once you’ve downloaded and installed the application, it will automatically open every time you start Windows. Simply sign in to Google Talk and then click on the name of the Friend you would like to chat with. A chat window will open; type in a message, send it by pressing Enter and then wait for their response.
- If you want to voice and video chat with your friends you will have to download and install the voice and video chat plug-in and then sign in to your Google Account. Choose a contact from your list; you can video chat with them if they have a camera icon next to their names or voice chat if they have a phone icon. You can also have a one-way video chat if you have a camera but your friend doesn’t.
- You can also leave a voicemail of up to ten minutes for your friend. Simply click on the phone icon beside their name, and then wait for voicemail to connect after four rings. They will receive your voicemail as an mp3 file attached to an e-mail. Or if they are Gmail users, they can listen to the voicemail by simply clicking the Play button on the message window.
Have a great and joyful chatting with your friends :)